[lbo-talk] Zizek mentioned

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 19:31:34 PST 2010

On 10-01-05 11:18 AM, c b wrote:

> At the American Academy of Religion meeting in Montreal last year, he
> may have gotten his wish, or something resembling it. Following an
> apocalyptic sermon from "death of God" theologian Thomas J.J. Altizer,
> to the podium came the ruffled Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Žižek, a
> self-described atheist and "materialist through and through", before
> an audience of religion scholars, theologians, and costumed adherents.
> He spoke of truths Christianity alone possesses and how Christ's death
> reveals that "the only universality is the universality of struggle."
> Atheism, he explained, is true Christianity, and one can only be a
> real atheist by passing through Christianity. "In this sense, I am
> unconditionally a Christian", said Žižek.

I'm not sure how de-contextualized the above remarks are, but the comments are deeply offensive to anyone who takes seriously the philosophical thinking that emerged in what is now India, China, and Thailand a couple of thousand years ago.

Are we done with Eurocentrism and the trivializations of Hegelian inversions yet?

Oh, and the emerging markets have emerged allfuckingready.

Perhaps SZ should sit down and smoke some weed with Robert Price and Burton Mack before he runs his mouth on xtianity anymore?