[lbo-talk] Zizek mentioned

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 7 16:13:54 PST 2010

Quite aside from any of the larger issues discussed by others in this thread, no one can understand either the 't0s or such political continuity as we maintained through the '70s and '80s without recognizing how crucial was the the large part played throughout those decades by religious groups and individuals. During the '70s Father Joe Kelly's Newman Center in Normal Illinois also sheltered the American 'branch' of the Communist Party of the Philippines. Everywhere one turned in the '60s there were priests and ministers in the thick of the various movements. And I would expect in any future left upsurge there would be substantial participation by elements of the evangelical churches.

Focus on practice. Different individuals in the same actions will conceptualize their activity in quite different theoretical form. There simply cannot be any direct linkaaaaaaaaage assumed between theory or ideology and practice. (It works both ways; bad practice from good theory, good practice from bad theory, and various other weird blendings.) Not all priests referred to as The Red Priest get the title from the color of their hair.

Carrol