[lbo-talk] Zizek mentioned

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 7 19:37:22 PST 2010

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> >Focus on practice.
>
> Or that.

The physical pain of reading has a definite effect on comprehension. 'Reading' a few words at a time, which isn't really reading, isolates phrases from context, and can make short elliptical phrases almost unintelligible. I'd read over this several times before I connected this "or that" with the previous "No argument with that."

There must be numerous physical and/or neurological conditions which intefere with decently rapid reading, which have _no_ relationship to intelligence (or potential intelligence). As a metaphor: Consider that the Iliad poet might have flunked a high school lit class because he read too slowly and lost his thoughts before he got them down on paper.

Carrol