[lbo-talk] Avatar: The Exquisite Horror of The Strange Stranger

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:11:45 PST 2010

DH:

You're on Facebook, too. You can't fool me.

JG:

I said "high bourgeois SPATIAL split"... I do all my F-book composing, sending, and reading in a stationary position, in the discomfort of my tiny living room/dining room... as with everything else I do on-line.

DH:

Why? Out of some Adorno-esque revolutionary devotion to high bourgeois aspirations?

JG:

I could flaunt some high-falutin' politico-philosophical bullshit about my praxis... you know, the standard line you'll get from dubious sources such as Adbusters, Neil Postman (RIP), Sven Birkerts (sp?), etc. But basically, even in this day and age, after a decade or so of habituation to handset saturation in public and quasi-public space, too often I still get the uncontrollable urge to punch out mobile device users... not just gauche cell phone gabbers, but merely average texters. Gawd, I hate twiddling thumbs; I'd like to think my hate is grounded in a critique of time-space distanciating narcissism, but I fear my hate comes from a more primal wellspring.

Actually, I'm a hypocrite on many fronts, why not this one? Probably I don't have a wireless handheld of some kind b/c given my daily life pattern and limited social circles, it's rarely "necessary" -- and I'm a cheapskate. That allows me to uphold my bad faith politico-philosophical pose, which I do with relish.

_________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/