[lbo-talk] cell phone hell

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:41:46 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:43 AM, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 8:31 PM, Eubulides wrote:
>
> On 1/12/2010 4:40 PM, martin wrote:
>>
>> I'm don't know if I'm surprised, but the two income family and
>>> consequent reduction in family size doesn't seem to have been given any
>>> consideration in this thread.

>> We were waiting for you to bring it up; what took you so long? :-)
>>

> Just thought that there might be some room for scarcity in the analysis of
> value. There were an abundance of children in the streets when I was a kid.
> b.'42
>
> martin

I'll buy the two income household thing but think the family size aspect has less to do with it. I grew up in suburban north Jersey in an upper middle class town of, mostly, dual income households with two or fewer kids - with
>50% of the houses kid-less - in the late 60s and 70s and we were outside
all the time, running wild, cycling to the community pool, heading down to the Passaic River to watch pollution float by, playing flashlight tag, etc. According to a whole raft of family/lifecourse/childhood sociologists there's a real, though of course not universal, split between how contemporary professional-managerial class folks - of all races - raise their kids and how blue collar and low income folks - of all races, rural, suburban and urban - raise their kids. Lower income folks, generally, raise kids in a manner described by Lareau (there at UCB, Chuck) as "accomplishing natural growth" - the old "go outside and play", often with extended family and/or the kids of friends. Professional-managerial families, since the 1980s, increasingly have embraced "concerted cultivation" - the overscheduled/overstressed/never-self-motivated child, when scholars are critical - believing not only that a (crazy) diversity of (exhausting) experiences is good for kids but also that dealing with adults, learning the rules of the game and representing your needs, desires and demands to those in power, and learning to outcompete others will assure that these kids aren't downwardly mobile in the increasingly insecure world of upper middle income living. Obviously, the fewer other kids are out in the streets, down at the playground or self-organizing activities, the fewer parents that are going to want to send their kids out into the streets, down to the school, etc. We have plenty of kids in our upper middle income, two-earner neighborhood, but most parents think that the family that lets their many foster/adopted kids roam around on the streets, knocking on our doors to see if our kids can play, etc., are a pain in the neck... 'cuz, when we're home with our kids, we want to be with our kids since we don't see them all that much given our schedules and theirs. My sense is that the produced scarcity is a product of class-specific cultural practices not "natural" birth rates... which, I'll admit, have fallen for PMC types. APR