[lbo-talk] cell phone hell

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:27:58 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM, c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > heading down to
> > the Passaic River to watch pollution float by
>
> Still then, eh? My father grew up near that thing back in the 1920s
> and 1930s and saw dead horses and human turds floating by all the
> time. He's amazed that swimming in it didn't kill him. I guess
> consciousness changed enough over 40 or 50 years that people stopped
> swimming in it at least.
>
> Doug
>
> ^^^^
> CB: Like an American Ganges.

Well, sorta, for an extended period of time the Army Corps of Engineers want to relieve flooding in the river's upper/generally richer reaches by straightening and concrete lining the river so, basically, the good people of Elizabeth took the brunt of the floods and their contents... my first inkling that the phenomena not-yet-named environmental justice might exist. Later, they wanted to build a massive tunnel from up-river to down-river (the river's kinda in the shape of a horseshoe and they wanted to go linearly from top center to bottom outflow... guess where it'd come out?! Elizabeth...