[lbo-talk] kids more freaked today than in 1930s

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:28:48 PST 2010

On the increase in "psychopathology":

Two r so decades ago there was a study I only learned aboaut through a sydicated column attacking it. It concluded that juvenile offenders who were caught were more apt to be adult criminals than were offenders who were not caught, and offenders who were caught and punished were more apt to be adulte criminals than those who were caught but not severely punished. The colunist (some Wahington Post liberal) huffed and puffed and said that must be nonsense.

I never saw a careful account of the study so I can't say much about it. My sense, though, is that peers of mine who got into trouble were far more apt to be simply sent home with a warning and no offical recvord than became the case in the decades after the war.

CArrol