[lbo-talk] Lincoln Gordon, he dead

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 01:36:22 PST 2010

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the linguistic construction "a racist." Do any of us really believe that it's possible to be non-racist within a certain social relationship, or racist outside of it? So why this focus on the individual, as if the purity of Conrad's soul counted for much of anything? I propose that this is the mirror image of that periodic whipping boy of the list, the working class as defined through identity politics: the racist as defined through identity politics.

Any usage of the term "racism" or "racist" not accompanied by a clear