[lbo-talk] Art and Ontoloby Lincoln Gordon, he dead

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 15 19:57:25 PST 2010

John Adams wrote:

> I've never been able to appreciate that work, though I've enjoyed his shorter poems quite a bit. My great teacher, Jim Whitehead, told me that as I matured I would come to love Milton. Do you think fifty-two is old enough?

I don't know. I was never able to appreciate the Prelude, though I read it several times. Then in my early '70s I read it again and fell in love with it. I didn't get to reread it though before my eyesight collapsed, so I never figured out just precisely what it was that now attracted me. So you never know at what age a text may come alive for you.

Carrol