[lbo-talk] Conrad v Hochschild (was Lincoln Gordon, he dead)

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 15 20:07:32 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>

>Yes I left out my premise, for which I am obviously in a minority: I think
>Conrad can't write for shit.

I wouldn't go that far, but I didn't care for his style, either. (I don't care for Henry James, either.)

>And the reason I
>feel it so strongly is that it wasn't an involuntary waste of my time. I
>was forced by authorities to try to find redeeming value in it, so much
>more of my time was wasted and much needless suffering was involved.

When I first read the book, it was out of curiosity. The second time, it was a class assignment. I did get more out of it the second time, but there were many, many works in that anthology I'd've rather read and discussed.

Thanks,

John A

http://www.arkansawyer.com/wordpress/