[lbo-talk] Lincoln Gordon, he dead

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sat Jan 16 08:56:34 PST 2010

>From my privileged viewpoint of not having seen the movie, I don't disagree with what Dwayne says, with the one proviso that this movie is the first of three parts. Other reviewers speculate (and I hope this turns out to be so) that the Na'vi ecosystem will turn out to have been a technological construction created by a previous, now-gone Na'vi civilization.

However, the key point of the review I posted is, I think, this:

"Yes, the plot is completely predictable, not because you've seen it before, because you actually haven't. Avatar differs from the plot of every single one of those archetypical films in one extremely important way - the forces of civilization/progress/technology +lose+."

Right now, in this particularly shitty time (whether of my life specifically or of the history in which I live, I cannot judge), I am a partisan of movies that show victory rather than defeat for my side.

Thanks,

John A

http://www.arkansawyer.com/wordpress/