[lbo-talk] Software GUI guidelines, no longer relevant? Are pics better than words?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 22:37:41 PST 2010

I guess the lbo crowd could appreciate getting into this discussion -I remember I once got into a heated argument about graphics designers here-:

Q: are vendors like Google no longer caring about GUI design standards, all in the name of "simplicity"? Are CUA style menus no longer relevant? Would we need to learn a new set of Egyptian Hyerogliphics every time we use a new application, because text menus are suddenly not in vogue?

Is the drawing of a "monkey wrench" or a "star" more intutive than a button that reads "File" ? Or, is recovering 23 vertical pixels a good enough argument to throw away years of standarization?

Full argument, here: http://www.techeye.net/software/software-gui-design-going-to-hell-in-a-basket

Notice I´m thinking about desktop and notebook software, not mobile phones where screens are definitely constrained.

Would appreciate any comments here on this list

FC