[lbo-talk] Off the Table or Under the Table: Economics vs. Health Care

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Jan 17 18:34:40 PST 2010

Apparently, the Obama folks are following the Bush precedent, paying Johathan Gruber, a health care economist, under the table -- at least he seems to have done nothing to let it be known -- to influence the health care debate

http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2010/01/08/gruber-did-not-disclose-conflict-to-the-wapo/

I posted two brief mentions about Jonathan Gruber and health care, without realizing that he had a $392,600 contract with Health and Human Services that had not yet been made public.

First, last November, I posted the following comment in response to a New York Times article about Health Care, alluding to single payer being "off the table.":

Jonathan Gruber is a health economist from MIT -- an expert, no doubt. David Leonhardt quotes his favorable comment on the Senate health care bill: “I can’t think of a thing to try that they didn’t try.”

Leonhardt, apparently, never bothered to ask him about single payer, which was off the table.

more at:

http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/off-the-table-or-under-the-table-economics-vs-health-care/ -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com