[lbo-talk] Lincoln Gordon, he dead

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jan 18 09:59:45 PST 2010

At 10:42 AM 1/18/2010, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>At 11:22 AM 1/17/2010, Carrol Cox wrote:
>

>>shag carpet bomb wrote:
>> >

>> > then, as now, what Jenny Brown called "corporate feminism" reigns so
>> > I'm
>> > not sure we've advanced any. Moreover, the banning and shaming has
>> > little
>> > to do with essentialism. It is a fixture of contemporary feminism_s_,
>> > regardless as the degree to which they promulgate essentialist notions
>> > of
>> > gender identity.
>>
>>I want to exploe what "advance" means at the present time.
>
>cool.
>

>>First of all, what is the concrete content of "feminist movement" at the
>>present time?
>
>in the context i used it i'd written about the history of feminist
>movement (tm). I placed the trademark after the phrase "feminist movement"
>because it was coined by bell hooks and means something particular. i also
>didn't want people to think it was merely a typo since the level of
>knowledge of feminisms on the list tends to hover around the level of
>pre-kindergarten qualifying exams.
>
>hooks never talks about *the* feminist movement, but about feminist
>movement for a very particular reason.
>
>>It seems, by your posts, that it consists of "professional
>>feminists" debating each other.(I use "professional" in Lenin's actual
>>sense in WITBD, not in the ordinary English sense of the woord. Lenin
>>meant by professional revolutionaries people who, though working full
>>time in regular jobs, in the time they did spend in political activity
>>they took a professional attitude towards it. Hence the term isnot
>>pejorative.)
>

>not at all. it seems that you have your mind made up, so i'm not going to
>spend time explaining how they're not the professionals you describe.
>
>shag

and by the way, while i appreciate that you were trying to address a common sentiment, i forgot to note that i think it's pathetic that *anyone* attacks people for being professionals in a social movement, feminist or otherwise. it's foolishness.

i remember being attacked a few years ago, a law professor and a professional writer, both concluded I was a "professional feminist". the lawyer thought i should quit my job as professional feminist because i was a bad, bad feminist ought to destroy feminism. the professional writer just thought i was on the take, taking money from right wingers to bring down feminism.

heh.

would that it were the case that i was a paid, professional feminist! all in all, though, i am very flattered that two very successful professionals with good jobs 'n' all have such an active fantasy life about moi! i feel so special.