[lbo-talk] Patrick Bond's reply to Robin Hahnel on Carbon Trading: summary carbon trading still fails both as policy and as politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 19 11:19:34 PST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Gar Lipow quoted Patrick Bond:

> * Robin's political vision is constrained by the backward state of
> US congressional power relations, which indeed makes his proposed
> reforms far less likely than the combination of grassroots direct
> actions (not a legislative utopia) against polluters, national/local
> air quality and planning regulation, and substantial public
> investments that together the CJ movement is advocating.

I don't get this at all. In the U.S. political context, even cap and trade is seen as almost Bolshevik by many people, despite the support of some major corporations (e.g. the memebership of the U.S. Climate Action Partnership). It is very hard to imagine even the Waxman-Markey bill getting through the Senate. How will "grassroots direct actions" begin to challenge business as usual? How can local regulation deal with a national and international problem? Where will the money for public investment come from if not the same Congress that rejects c&t? We're in deep shit here, man.

Doug