[lbo-talk] World War as Class War

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 20 18:30:18 PST 2010

> Not a joke, if a necessary simplification. Their disputes were as serious
> as ours - and perhaps need to be rescued from "the enormous condescension
> of posterity." --CGE

I don't deny their seriousness. But I deny the feudal/market simplification of the G&G divide is helpful. (The emperor/pope distinction has more truth to it.) It certainly confuses more than it explains in Florence. For an excellent explanation of why, and of what a clearer take would look like, I highly recommend John Najemy's recent _History of Florence: 1250-1550_.

Michael