[lbo-talk] ciao, 60

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 20 23:32:19 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Bill O'Connor wrote:

> No, I'm quite sure the filibuster could be scrapped any time of the day
> or night by the majority party. It doesn't have to be at the beginning
> of the session, just like last time:
>
> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,912966,00.html

I'm sorry, perhaps I read too fast, but I missed the place in this article that supports your point. Could you point it out?

Here's the article that backs up mine, i.e., that it could be abolished at the beginning of any session:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Gold_Gupta_JLPP_article.pdf

It's long, but the whole argument is in the first few pages. The rest is backing it up.

Martin Gold, one of the authors, literally wrote the book on the Senate Rules:

http://www.amazon.com/Senate-Procedure-Practice/dp/0742563057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263792023&sr=1-1

which I'm reading now.

FWIW, this Gold and Gupta paper is the authority the Republicans championed when they threatened to abolish the filibuster circa 2004.

Michael