[lbo-talk] corporate campaign spending limits, he dead

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:51:12 PST 2010

DC writes:

A tiny note of dissent from all the wailing and gnashing of teeth:

I think it might be sort of refreshing actually to have the corporate sponsors of some of the bilge that passes for advertising clearly advertised: this round of mudslinging is wholly financed by Really Large Corporation! It might save people a step in digging up how to follow the money and truth in advertising would be so refreshing.

JG sez:

Before I composed my post I gave the "truth in labeling" clause a moment's consideration. But only

to a limited extent does propaganda work through the credibility (or lack thereof) of sources and the

authority (or lack thereof) of argument. To the degree that it does, the megaphone effect of the SC

ruling will outdo it. I'm not sure the ruling is a watershed event (given the already sham condition of

US capitalist democracy) but I'd be hard pressed to paint it positively.

_________________________________________________________________ Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/