[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institution inone day

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 21 19:24:11 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I don't understand who would do the tackling, since no senator is
> ever going to do it. I should think it would be easier to organize
> an insurrection than persuade the Senate to give up a rule that
> benefits everyone in the Senate and hurts no one.

I would argue this hurts the Dems. They could deliver substantial goods if it took a majority. They can deliver nothing if it takes 60. If they delivered, they could stay in power for a long time given the present disorganization on the right. But if government is frozen and nobody delivers, advantage goes to the party with the best demogogues. And until this rule is changes, government will be frozen.

And yes, I know the Dems don't want to deliver everything we want. But they want to deliver a lot more than they have which is zip.

Michael