[lbo-talk] ciao, 60

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 06:21:16 PST 2010

> On Jan 22, 2010, at 12:06 AM, brad bauerly wrote:
>
> > I think we are all making this much more complex then it really is by
> > talking about class fractions and which party they influence and how
> > that
> > impacts HC legislation. It is estimated that over the next 5 to 10
> > years HC
> > will make up 20% of US GDP!!! fucking 20%!!! It is the biggest growth
> > sector since the personal computer or home appliances. Hell its
> > bigger.
> > There is no way a capitalist state is going to act in the interest
> > of any
> > class fraction to stomp out that growth.
>

> Doug wrote:
> But if it comes at the expense of other sectors?

> It probably depends on which sectors and on their growth potentials and
levels of profits. I am sure that the typewriter ribbon lobby pushed really hard to stop the personal computer industry, but...you get the point. Who would be hurt by the proposed HC legislation? US manufacturing? All of it? And are those sectors who would gain from single payer important growth sectors of the economy? Do they contain the same rates of profit as the HC industry (like Pharma who enjoys huge ROP)? This is why the US economy has been dominant for the last 40 years, because the political system is set up to allow capital to flow to the most dynamic and most profitable sectors and the state blunts public dissatisfaction and attempts at change. This round of HC legislation was an attempt at the latter by actually claiming to be doing something to help the situation for the people when in reality it was simply aiding the continued growth of the sector. It really could never have been more then that.

Brad