[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institutioninone day

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 22 11:26:55 PST 2010

At 11:13 AM 1/22/2010, Michael Smith wrote:

>Oh and for some reason I'm in pedant mode today -- "bons mots", not
>"bon mots". Always galls me a little when I see that

I know the feeling:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bon%20mot

Main Entry: bon mot

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural bons mots \b - m (z)\ or bon mots \- m (z)\

Etymology: French, literally, good word

Date: circa 1730

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plural#Compounds_from_the_French

For compounds adopted directly from the French where the head comes at the end, it is generally regarded as acceptable either to pluralize both words or only the last:

beau geste beaux gestes/beau gestes

belle époque belles époques/belle époques

bon mot bons mots/bon mots

bon vivant bons vivants/bon vivants