[lbo-talk] Gallup: Americans fine with SC decision on corp speech

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:55:59 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

Shouldn't the headline be Americans completely contradict themselves as
> usual?
>
> Fifty-seven percent of Americans consider campaign donations to be a
>> protected form of free speech, and 55% say corporate and union donations
>> should be treated the same way under the law as donations from individuals
>> are. At the same time, the majority think it is more important to limit
>> campaign donations than to protect this free-speech right.
>>

> What the hell does that mean? It's protected but it's important not to
> protect it?

What's contradictory about it? I would argue that most domestic federal programs violate the Tenth Amendment, but still support a lot of them (and a bunch of new ones to boot). Any number of liberals will admit that individual gun ownership is protected by the Second Amendment, but still want to ban it. It's only contradictory if one assumes that everyone involved views the Constitution as sacred writ.