[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institution inone day

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 04:21:15 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

The main point is convincing people it's entirely possible and would
> radically change government for the more democratic. (It would also be more
> in tune with the founders intentions according to Tom Geoghegan:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/opinion/11geoghegan.html

Michael, upon rereading this article, it occurs to me Harry Reid could simply call for a floor vote on a health care bill acceptable to 51 Senators; declare it passed in violation of Senate Rule 22, on the grounds that the latter's supermajority rule violates the Constitution; and defend the Senate's case in the courts. The courts, of course, will do as they please, but this would, at the very least, beat the hell out of waiting until the 112th Congress begins on January 3, 2011 to do anything, if only because it's something. And it wouldn't exclude your proposed rules change or any number of other options from consideration.