[lbo-talk] question to computer geeks

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 07:48:00 PST 2010

What is the actual risk of turning off the update feature on Windows and other applications (Adobe, Firefox, java etc.)?

The problem is that not I am constantly bombarded with requests to "update" often several times a day, but some of these updates do not work and fuck up settings on my computer. Recently ann update to Adobe reader not only wiped out the reader from my computer, but I am not able to reinstall the reader again. I had to install a different reader from Foxit to be able to read pdf document.

When I try to disable this dreadful update feature I am getting all kinds of warnings that the hell will break lose if I do so. I suspect that this is bullshit devised by software companies to be able to fuck up with people's computers, but I am not sure.

Can someone knowledgeable explain the risk of turning off the update features or at least the most annoying ones, i.e. Microsoft Windows & Office, Adobe, Firefox browser and Java?

Wojtek