[lbo-talk] Suburban revolt against Obama?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:08:55 PST 2010

For those who don't follow the link, the argument is - somehow - that, while the Obama Admin hasn't actually done anything notably - much less substantively - anti-suburban, suburbanites can, by some undeveloped (almost spiritual) means "detect" and anti-suburban character in the "body language" of the Administration - most particularly the vague utterly pre-policy statements that some appointees have made about smart growth, greater residential density and greeningn development. This is a joke, as a number of the comments point out (and now Doug has, too).

The fact that the economy still sucks, jobs are still non-existent, states are in ever-more serious fiscal crisis, the Administration hasn't aggressively pursued any of the things Obama said it would (much less any of the things liberal suburbanites imagined they might do), the things they've said they care about they've frittered away in compromises and pro-corporate give-aways and the Democratic candidate was not only completely uninspired but ran as bad and stupid a campaign as could be imagined isn't even raised.

When in doubt, or just looking for a reason for anything, irrationally lay the blame on greening, where oh where have we seen this before... isn't it usually an approach made by pro-urbanites critiquing liberal environmental suburbanites?