[lbo-talk] fresh punditry

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:28:16 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM, brad bauerly <bbauerly at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Maybe it's been true all along. It's a slow and >irregular process that
> >we're living through and it's hard to see >sometimes.
> >Doug
>
> So, if the decline has been going on since the 1970s and if the US became
> an
> empire after WWII, then we have not quite 30 years of empire followed by
> 40+
> years of decline.

Jeez, why start there? Why not start with independence and the beginning of western expansion, then the 1848 war with Mexico, then inter-imperialist war with Spain over the Philippines, Cuba etc. and many other empire building events I skipped over? Always thought it was obvious that the U.S. was an empire from the get go.

Sheldon