[lbo-talk] termitude

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 26 10:18:29 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Obama: "The one thing I'm clear about is that I'd rather be a really
> good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president."
>
> But he's going to be a shitty one-term president, the way things are
> going. And he'll be succeeded by something truly horrible. I want to
> abandon ship.

No you don't -- there's no lifeboat available.

The policy is shitty, as I've just arguedn on pen-l, only if we look at it from the perspective of the general welfare. I think we shoul assume policy constraints (from the view of "responsible" polticians and theorists that make this a _necessary_ develpment of policy, and Obama really means his willingness to be a one-term president, that he has balanced re-election against the needs of capital*, and decided the latter is the priority.

True, he will be replaced by something more horrible (as Jimmy Carter was), but that too shall pass, and a DP Administration will return to power in 4 to12 years. That's how the system works.

Carrol

*I really don't know what the best word would be here; "Capital" stands for whatever would be the best label.