[lbo-talk] Darwinian evolution only part of story?

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:08:10 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Dwayne Monroe <dwayne.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> So perhaps we can say (as some, such as Tim Morton are now doing) that
> the thing we call 'human' (along with 'dog', 'cat', hornet, etc) is
> not, as we suppose, a unique unity but a contingent manifestation, a
> shambling collection of borrowings, a hive creature, a strange
> stranger.

Real question, because I stupidly don't know much about biology: Are biologists just now, as in only recently, saying such things? Because Deleuze and Guattari, in their difficult but amazing chapter "10000 B.C.: The Geology of Morals (Who Does the Earth Think It Is?)" in A Thousand Plateaus, said just this, in some detail, 30 years ago. I'd assumed they were repeating current biological research, but is it possible they were also anticipating some of it?