[lbo-talk] termitude

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Jan 26 12:41:35 PST 2010

Judging by the widespread disillusionment and anger on the liberal left, it seems to me that the political conditions, if not the organization, already exist for the emergence of a small mass party to the left of the DP, moreso than when a largely middle class movement formed around than the Nader campaign in 2004. Alas, the same process inside the Republican party which could lead to the emergence of a small fourth party to it's right seems to be even more advanced. Economic discontent led to a hemmoraging of support from the two major parties in Canada during the 30's - the CCF, forerunner of today's NDP, emerging to the left of the Liberals and the Social Credit party forming to the right of the Conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar development in the US leading up to the 2012 election.

Rather than simply echoing liberals and independents in fulminating against the Obama administration, I'd be more interested in knowing whether my American friends share my opinion, and, if so, their thoughts about how they can help organize the growing dissatisfaction with both parties so that it doesn't primarily flow to the right or dissipate and disappear as cynicism about the administration and political action deepens.