[lbo-talk] corporate personhood

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 20:53:19 PST 2010

On 10-01-26 03:37 PM, SA wrote:

> The whole issue of corporate personhood is a distraction from the real
> issue of campaign finance law, which is giving Congress the right to
> regulate campaign expenditures by *anybody* - corporate or non-corporate.

Congress doesn't have rights.

> And there's no need to restore the state's authority to regulate
> corporations - obviously corporations are already regulated, in lots of
> ways. Yes, sometimes the Supreme Court will overturn one of those
> regulations, but it also regularly overturns laws that apply to natural
> persons, too. Again, the issue of corporate personhood is a red herring.
>
> SA

The neo-populists, when they're struggling to think, want to obliterate the distinction between constituting and regulating corporations. Not just in historical fantasy, which they do suffer from immensely given the ideology of optimism that BE has recently turned her brain on, but at least for those attorneys I've talked to, in actual political practice. Morris Cohen, Louis Brandeis and Robert Hale are more important to them than Marx and Keynes.