[lbo-talk] termitude

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Jan 27 07:27:24 PST 2010

No doubt, the political debate seems to get worse all the time.

But the numbers say Federal non-defense spending is robust, even granting the Obama budget proposal. In 1991 it was 15.1% of GDP, a peak after some hits during the Reagan administration (roughly 3% of GDP, which is big in this context). Bush I nearly restored it to pre-Reagan levels. Clinton took it down to as low as 13.6. Bush II brought it back to 15.3, nearly the post-WWII peak. The projected level after the current spike to 22.9% is 16.4. It is fair to object that some of this growth reflects ever-growing health care costs, but it's still public $$.

The BHO policies suck on many levels and could surely worsen, but it is an exaggeration to say the non-defense public sector is being strangled.