[lbo-talk] termitude

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Jan 27 08:37:13 PST 2010

Part D was a big part, yes. It could be better designed, but at the end of the day, it is buying drugs for folks. Lots of drugs. That's an expansion of social spending, not necessarily the most worthwhile one.

NCLB was a big money-maker for the ed budget. Again, not necessarily well-designed (I hate the focus on standardized testing, for instance), but the premise was that the Gov is being strangled. It isn't.

DH's tightening point I agree with. But with a 2% cut, the Gov would still be about as big as it has been for a long while.

I haven't looked up the inflation component. It's a good question.

CATO maniac Chris Edwards has a good piece up that shows how hollow the spending freeze proposal is, from the standpoint of actual, uh, spending. My objection is the rhetorical and political impact. As with Clinton's anti-deficit rhetoric, it reinforces a public discourse that is inimical to domestic policy initiatives. In the present context, the "freeze" blocks possibilities for further stimulus, which we badly need and might need even more if the dreaded double-dip transpires.