[lbo-talk] corporate personhood

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:52:14 PST 2010

martin wrote:

> "Corporate personhood" serves as a rallying issue for left movement
> organizing. It has an iconic quality that can focus political activity
> toward unseating corporations, the servants of capital.

Yes, I think that's the only sensible explanation for why people fixate so much on this issue. Whatever actual policy objectives are being hindered by the alleged prohibition on treating corporations differently from natural people are too obscure and vanishingly slight to justify it.

But I think it's an unfortunate rallying issue. It's not really "corporations" that are the servants of capital, it's capitalists. Why is an unincorporated business better than a corporation?

SA