[lbo-talk] corporate personhood

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:32:23 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I think it's an unfortunate rallying issue. It's not really
> "corporations" that are the servants of capital, it's capitalists. Why is an
> unincorporated business better than a corporation?

Like you, I think the outrage over corporate personhood is pretty silly and misses the point, but this formulation is kind of reductive, don't you think? Individual capitalists don't move in the world; they can't act or even exist outside of something that gives them form. Right now, the main organizational form capital uses is the corporation. Just because the ACLU uses the same form doesn't make it neutral or irrelevant.

DH wrote:

> Because it's small and cute rather than big and ugly.

I know this is a meme you like to hit, but I don't read most of the reaction to corporate personhood as arguing this. I think there's a different focus, though I could not be paying close enough attention.

Besides, in the U.S., not even real people are small and cute anymore.