[lbo-talk] corporate personhood

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:54:10 PST 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I would say, however, that _at this
> time_, anything that gets vaguely left activists talking to each other
> is o.k. with me, however bogus the particular issue might be.

You mostly persuade me. And I think your argument that ideas come from action (and that without action ideas are inert) is a really valuable one, and something intellectuals often forget. But I think you underestimate the extent to which people who are engaged in action necessarily interpret the *practical* dilemmas and circumstances they find themselves in on the basis of the *intellectual* ideas they've picked up, whether directly or at second hand, in books (or articles, or whatever). People engaged in action aren't tabula rasas whose ideas will be formed ex nihilo by praxis. Their ideas will be molded by their praxis *as interpreted* through particular sets of ideas inherited from the wider (left) culture. So sitting around bullshitting about corporate personhood isn't entirely pointless, assuming some people are listening.

SA