[lbo-talk] What are we waiting for?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 17:52:34 PST 2010

Well, peace, land and bread may have been desired by lots of people in Russia, but as far as I know it was not actually a slogan before the Bolsheviks (not "Lenin and Trotsky," dammit) made it into one. I mean, how could it be -- "land" is a demand of the lower peasantry (there is an interesting pre-1917 history behind this), not the masses. (They never actually got the land by the way.)

----- Original Message ---- From: Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, January 29, 2010 4:37:44 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] What are we waiting for?

Shane wrote

"But! "Peace, land, and bread" was not Lenin's--it was the Russian masses'. The genius of Lenin and Trotsky was their ability to hear the masses and speak to them in their own language."

Granted. These were the pre-mass media masses, so perhaps, easier to comprehend.

Nevertheless, I'm willing to be that

"Peace, health, education, and justice" will not fall on deaf ears.

J.