[lbo-talk] Darwinian evolution only part of story?

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jan 29 04:17:05 PST 2010

You could have, if you had gotten a population inversion going. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_inversion http://www.rp-photonics.com/population_inversion.html

Then, you could have built a nice laser gun.

Jim F. http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Darwinian evolution only part of story? Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:30:04 -0800 (PST)

Shane kind of reminds me of myself when I was 10 and thought that you could make a really cool weapon out of sticking photons in an oven and making them really really hot.

----- Original Message ---- From: John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, January 29, 2010 6:33:01 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Darwinian evolution only part of story?

Shane Mage wrote:

>> I thought perhaps Shane misunderstood Hawking's reversal on the idea of a singularity as a reversal on the idea of a big bang...
>

> It was and is none of my concern what Hawking chooses to call his pre-big-bang state-of-things.  The point simply is that, call it "singularity" or not, that pre-big-bang state-of-things was not part of the universe whose observed and mathematically formulated regularities ("laws") suggested to Hawking that before it existed there was a state-of-things that somehow big-banged and became the present universe.  But the theory (apart from its inconsistency with the observed world) is flawed--it has no way to bridge the gap between there and here.  That is its "myth of origins" nature.
>

> Shane Mage

That's what I thought, crackpottery. Hopefully you won't be surprised if I side with Penrose, Hawking, Walsworth, Stenger, etc and not Mage. To do otherwise would just seem silly.