[lbo-talk] NLR, was McLemee: short sweet intellectual history of Western Marxism in France

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 05:59:02 PST 2010

The best account I've read of the New Left in Britain is Duncan Thompson's book Pessimism of the Intellect, which I give a long precis of in a review, here

http://forth.ie/index.php/content/article/review_pessimism_of_the_intellect/#axzz0e0di0WkU

(and I see part of my introduction goes like this

'The NLR sustained a reputation for exotic and challenging work, introducing British audiences to such European intellectuals, living and dead, as Antonio Gramsci, Georg Lukacs, Claude Levi-Strauss, Mikhail Bakhtin, Lucio Colletti, Louis Althusser and Walter Benjamin, as well as giving a launch pad here for Francis Mulhern, Terry Eagleton, and Americans like Mike Davis, Doug Henwood and David Roediger. ' )