[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:40:49 PST 2010

I haven't heard this argument from lefty environmentalists and I don't know enough thoughtful(?) skeptics to have had conversations enough to be able to generalize but I hear things like this quite often from my students: "While its true we have to get our own house in order, its hard to convince any of my friends - much less anyone in my family - that this is something we have to do because the Chinese (and sometimes the Brazilians or Indians or... you get the point) are being so irresponsible." Then they'll say something like: "I'm sure many folks in the US would agree to more regulation and more changiness if they didn't think that such a development would encourage irresponsible Chinese (or Brazilian or Indian or...) free-ridership. Something needs to be done to - oh, sorry, I meant about - those guys."