[lbo-talk] Sun´s former CEO Scott McNealy, capitalism fanboi

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jan 30 14:09:18 PST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:42:04 -0300 Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> In short: if anything saved us from a total Windows monopoly, it was
> Sun´s software strategy to counter Microsoft and promote open
> standards, Certainly not Apple, not IBM.

This account strangely elides the open-source movement itself.

Wasn't that in fact "what saved us"? If Sun had had to depend on proprietary software developed at home or bought from somebody else -- how much of a threat would they have posed?

(Not that they posed much of a threat after all. Microsoft is still there polluting the waters, and Sun is a stuffed moose head on Oracle's -- Oracle's! -- wall.)

No doubt Sun opportunistically took advantage of the open-source movement -- they were, after all, the monopoly-to-be, not the actually-existing monopoly. So they were willing to make common cause with the open-source brigands, at least until Mordor fell.

Had they succeeded in becoming Mordor themselves, I feel pretty sure, based on my dealings with these people, that they would have out-Sauron'ed Sauron.

Apple is a parallel case, actually.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com