[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 17:59:20 PST 2010

Yeah, it isn't really neoMalthusian.

Not sure if I follow you though. My point was that there was no scarcity- even though McMichael favorably quotes someone saying that we are in a 'post-surplus food era'. My main critique is that his model relys too much on supply and demand theories of price equilibrium. The price rise had almost nothing to do with lack of supply- due to biofuels or otherwise- but was simply a rise in exchange-value due to speculation. But if you mean that the price rise was socially produced and this created an inability for people to purchase food, then yes it was 'socially produced scarcity'. I just don't like to use the word scarcity when there is overproduction, but maldistribution.

Brad

Alan Rudy