[lbo-talk] What to do next

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 10:24:25 PST 2010

shag writes:

"in my observation, the skill of organizing (by which I simply mean, "getting shit done,") is really lacking for most people in general. part of it is lack of self-esteem. part of it is inability or lack of skills in making goals a reality. "We'd like to have bigger attendance." "We'd like to work with other groups to bring in speakers." "

It's a bunch of things.

-- Lack of time: after work (8 hrs/day + commute) and child-care/family time, there is simply not much time/energy left. -- Absence of public space and of a notion of meaningful activity within that space. -- Absence of public speaking skills, which would normally develop within the family/community just by virtue of people trying to inform/entertain one another. All this has been taken over by media/internet. -- Absence of any understanding of history as man-made; absence of any sense of human brotherhood that extends beyond the family.

I'm depressing myself.

Joanna