[lbo-talk] What to do next

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jan 31 12:51:59 PST 2010

At 01:51 PM 1/31/2010, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Jan 31, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Joanna wrote:
>
>>-- Lack of time: after work (8 hrs/day + commute) and child-care/ family
>>time, there is simply not much time/energy left.
>
>I hear this a lot, but: 1) Do we really have less free time now than
>people did in the 19th century, when workers were organizing
>rebellions and farmers were organizing the populist movement? and 2)
>According to the BLS <http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm> we
>have an average of 5-6 hours of free time a day, half of which we
>spend watching TV. Fact is people prefer American Idol to political
>activity.
>
>Doug

well, lack of time is a no brainer. but i'm talking about examples where people voluntarily come to "do something" - a professional group where the dealio is, it's about advancing themselves and their profession so major self-interest ought to be at place. and then it's observations of people at at work, where it's not about lack of free time since no one's asking for their free time. they're getting freakin paid to do it.

so, i've struck out lack of free time as the driving force behind this issue.

shag