[lbo-talk] When Empire loses it

JAMES Heartfield heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 06:29:23 PDT 2010

Doug: 'That aside, I meant the effect of imposing austerity - deep recession - on the rest of Europe, and pressing for broader austerity within the G20. Won't that put German exports at risk?' Another thing to consider is that though Europe was important for Germany as a market for the export of 'capital goods', when I looked again at the more recent history, German exports had followed the dynamic of the world economy towards the East, and Europe was of declining significance to its exports (from a high starting point).