[lbo-talk] Interesting panel on photography (sorry)

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Jul 2 11:28:48 PDT 2010

Yes I wonder if there are disciplines outside the art world where its institutions work so aggressively to validate irrelevance and narcissism (and often flimsy opaque ideas). shrill

Economics?

English departments and lit-critters also do a pretty good job at this trade. The possible exceptions like Fredric Jameson are rare. I shouldn't go on, because I stopped reading lit and art criticism a very long time ago.

Basically, it comes down to a crisis of ideas and the inability to articulate an intellectual collapse. When the arts ran dry, pretty soon the critics did too. There is a link of some sort, which I wish I could creat for theory sake between the economic turn to the financial sector ... turn into the pure imaginary, and the general turn of the arts where they disappeared into thin air.

I've convinced myself that there is a linkage between the economic turn of the 1970s and the evaporation of the arts at about the same time. It's not that lots of people haven't tried, calling it all sorts of things, the postmodern turn, etc. But none have manage to capture the concrete feeling of what it was like----to wake up one day and see nothing. The future had disappeared into an engima.

I keep trying to find metaphors or symbols. CoolWhip. It is called a food. It is sold as food. But it isn't food. Sometimes I would spray this stuff in my mouth as a kid just for the weirdness of the experience. It's sort of like the ultimate product, a sugary nothingness.

CG