[lbo-talk] lefty on futbol

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 13:08:45 PDT 2010

Jordan wrote my thoughts probably better than I would have but I also think that critical/left people have forgone all kinds of opportunities relative to sport and politics. My students are always stumped when I ask why the resent A-Rod getting all that money but don't question Steinbrenner's ability to pay. Why not focus on conditions of work in sport, on the miniscule pay venders receive, on the social costs of public funding for stadiums, on the celebration of violence, on the destroyed lives, on the unmeritocratic elements of the games? And why not focus on Jim Brown rather than Jackie Robinson, on the reality rather than the myth of Ali... on what it must take for a nation with the population of Montreal to finish among the top 8 (and I'm really hoping for top 4) teams at the (utterly bought and contradictory) World Cup? Celebrate Prefontaine for fighting for athletes' quality of life rather than for partying his ass off and dying tragically? As Doug noted, it is so much easier - and politically lamer - to simply sneer and as Jordan noted, its not like loving sport means the end of critical thought, no?