[lbo-talk] lefty on futbol

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 17:14:44 PDT 2010

Dennis Claxton asked:

I feel like shag asking "what is a hipster." I see "just moralizing" here so often that I think some people have a special key for it.

But what does it mean?

Good question.

I suspect that definitions, like kissing talent, vary.

I'll illustrate my own take via a tale verite.

Let's call it:

*Moralizing While Drunk*

Once upon a time, not so very long ago, I sat with the beautiful but evil Mademoiselle G, eating Subway veggie max sandwiches. We listened to Ellen Allien's "Berlinette" while washing our meal down with passable, pre-mixed Bacardi mojitos and regret.

"...the past is a light train to unknown trash scapes..."

Mlle G is, among other things, concerned about "The Earth" and all matters ecological. We mostly agree...until she begins soap-boxing. That's when we part ideological company.

"SUV drivers are the scum of the earth!" she shouted, suddenly. Chopped lettuce, soy-based meat substitute fragments and red wine vinaigrette spilled from her mouth. Why? I asked. Because, their driving habits are "helping contribute to the destruction of a livable planet."

True, but what made these motorists worse than all the rest? And what about the people who believe their hulking vehicle choice is keeping their family safe? No one buys a machine thinking, 'soon, I will wreck the biosphere!' They just want to get from A to B in style and comfort.

Nein, no and nyet. They were especially irresponsible.

In G's mind, these drivers were members of a special class of terribles - the Not Us who do bad things we don't do. This constrained her thinking and turned every discussion of SUVs into a moralizing rant against the perfidy of their owners.

Moralizing is moral-based critique, with the critique part pressed to the margins to make room for moral categories.

.d.