[lbo-talk] lefty on futbol

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 20:22:07 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> "The really interesting thing is how many of these flag-fetishists also
> pursue an ahistorical, illogical brand of Christianity. If you ever want to
> have fun at the expense of such a person, ask them how frequently they
> salute the flag, accuse them of idolatry, and quote the First Commandment.
> Repeat as necessary, until a light bulb appears over their heads."
>
> ....or not. It seems to me that this hysterical patriotic/xtian stuff is
> intertwined. It's the hysterical insistence of the inhabitants of a settler
> state that they have a blessed right to be there.

> Joanna

Are the Aussies, Kiwi's and Canucks equally X-tian/patriotic? Are their sports as military-infused? If there's a settler state-related phenomenon, I think you probably have to also tie it to that whole 20th C cold war global hegemon thing... this weird weird anti-intellectual populist insecurity about not measuring up to Europe (or other elites or empires) generating a overblown overconfident overcompensation and each incessantly feeding the other.