[lbo-talk] Laura somebody sucks

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 2 22:17:59 PDT 2010

  Max wrote:   An alternative interpretation is that Obama knows very well the Afghan war can't end well, but he needed to support it in the campaign as a way to stick Bush ('wrong war') and present a side willing to deploy military force.  He could possibly expect to draw this out long enough to get reelected, then bug out.

All this would put him in Henry Kissinger/Christmas-bombing territory.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:

> . . . . Obama obviously never followed the history of Vietnam, were
> counter-insurgency was developed. It doesn't work. Evidently, the military's
> version of history is still in denial. We lost.

I thought it worked in Malaysia.  Oh well, no matter, different time, different place, different foes.  In any case, it ain't workin' in Afghanistan.  You're both right, of course: Chuck's right because our rulers can't win this war and Max because Obama wouldn't have been elected and we'd have McCain as Prezzy, if he'd come out for total withdrawal of his government's projections  of power (aka 'our troops') in Afghanistan.   Speaking of Kissinger and the '72 Christmas bombing, I remember numerous community discussions at that cold time about the possibilty of US bombs hitting PRC and USSR supply ships in Haiphong harbour and that leading to nuclear war.  Got a lot people out in the streets of East Lansing back in those days and nights.  Anyway, I recently heard a Nixon tape, directly from the Oval Office, where he's talking with K-man about using nukes in Vietnam to win the war and Kissy baby arguing him away from such a direction because of the damage it would do to the President's 'historical legacy'.  Apparently, K-man won the Commander-in-chief over with that particular point of view, as Nixon is heard on tape, just before Kissinger speaks, saying that he doesn't give a damn about all the civilian deaths using nukes would cause amongst the Vietnamese.   Amazing how the vanity of our rulers sometimes leads to decisions which affect the lives of so many others.   Mike B)  *********************************************************************** http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/