[lbo-talk] lefty on futbol

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 10:25:57 PDT 2010

(Dennis C, this, by the way, is part of what I mean by Chomsky's moralizing. There's no material basis for anything he says about sports. There aren't even any facts, which is especially funny coming from Chomsky. I agree with Mike that some people are too prolific for their own good. Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean you have to answer it, but he's given the same answer to that question many different times even though he has no idea what he's talking about. I also agree with Jordan that just because people watch sports doesn't mean they turn off their brains or political awareness. Chomsky's belief that sports = passivity is pretty fucking patronizing.)

Chomsky doesn't moralize about sports. He points out that the amount of information and analysis that many people apply to sports could result from their being discouraged and repressed in applying similar skills to politics. He has made these comments on the basis of listening to call-in radio shows. He makes these comments sympathetically, as he usually does regarding "average" people. As far as I know, he doesn't make and explicit critique of sports & corporatism, nationalism, etc. Not that such a critique shouldn't be made.

David Green